- By: webdevz
- 0 comment
- Asphalt Shingles are considered one of the least energy efficient roofing materials, because they absorb a lot of heat from the sun, thereby raising the temperature in the attic.
- As a result of rising consumer demand for energy efficient roofing materials, asphalt shingles manufacturers have formulated a product that can reduce your roof’s temperature by as much as 20% during the summer months. You can choose from the following options (always look for the Energy Star Label to ensure you are getting the real deal):
- Landmark Solaris by CertainTeed: steep slope, solar reflective asphalt roofing shingles
- Duration Premium Cool Shingles by Owens Corning: unique light colors, solar reflective shingles
- Timberline Cool Series Energy-Saving Shingles by GAF: highly reflective architectural shingles
- All of the above materials include cool roof solar reflective pigmentation, are more energy efficient than non “cool roof” shingles of the same color.
- Although these roof shingles are more reflective, they still store a lot of thermal energy, so even after the sun goes down, your attic space will not be completely cool.
- If energy efficiency is one of your main concerns, you should consider one of the metal roofing options.